Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Week 2, Assignment 3

Lesson Plan Critique

This lesson is using many of the strategies that have been proven effective when teaching literacy. The teacher is including read aloud in her lesson plan, and finding favorite stories to engage the children. The lesson also provides for independent reading and writing, the use of graphic organizers, and collaborative reading and writing.
Many questions came up as I was reading the specifics of the lessons and my overall issue with it is the time allowed for the performance tasks assigned at this educational level.  For example, would the children know at this level other examples of found poetry or the different types of poetry? Maybe at the second grade level, but I just don’t see this working too well at the K or 1st grade level.  I did research other lesson plans and there are several poetry unit lesson plans in 2nd grade that include types of poetry.  I guess with modifications all is possible? However, the time allowed for this particular lesson would have to be adjusted for each grade levels, or the prior knowledge expectation would have to be lowered.

Another issue that I had was the note taking while the teacher is writing.  I teach middle school, and the students have a hard time taking notes while I speak, or even from a video with close captioning.  I don’t think that at these early levels, students have the ability to take notes from a reading.  Choosing favorite words or sentences from a text is absolutely achievable, but that requires alone time with the text during independent reading.

2 comments:

  1. I agree, but again it depends on the children's reading levels. Accommodations and modifications on the lesson are definitely needed. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you Dayanara regarding the note taking children are doing in class at that age. As we all know, kids are easily distracted and with them having to take note, it would provide too much of a distraction when they really have to be focused on the lesson being taught at that time. Once they begin to mature a little more and the motor skills that would allow them to multitask better begin to develop as well, only then would it make sense to take notes while in class.


    -Earl

    ReplyDelete