- How can you ensure that your struggling readers have access to texts they can easily read?
First of all I would make sure that the students know their
reading level and are aware of how much they have to go until their next
level. I would also ensure that they
have a list of strategies that they can pull from whenever they are
reading. Classroom library would be
classified by levels and genre. I would have a picture books and
bilingual/picture dictionaries in the library.
E-books are a great tool as well because they motivate students to read.
- How can you foster a learning environment in which students have many opportunities to practice reading?
I would provide the students with texts that they can read
and re-read. Read small passages and
have the student read it back to me. I
would also schedule independent reading time during the day/s lesson. I recently started allowing students to come
in during lunch time for quiet reading time at the request of one student, and
soon a few more started to come in. I do
my work, and they read their independent readers. Since so many of them share books and are
reading the same series, towards the end they even hold their own discussions
about the book.
- Describe ways in which you can model fluent reading in your classroom throughout the day.
Teacher read aloud paying special attention to accuracy and
comprehension. Stopping and asking every now and then questions that check for
understanding is a strategy I like to use, especially since I teach
Science. I would also model how to read
in phrases and using intonation so that the students can hear proper pronunciation
and teach them to match their voice to mine when reading the same phrases.
No comments:
Post a Comment